Ling laments Torquay treatment
Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:21:00
Turkish side Fenerbahce could again be banned from the UEFA Champions League after UEFA confirmed the club and five officials will have match-fixing charges heard later this month.
Club president Aziz Yildirim was jailed last July for six years for match-fixing and Fenerbahce were banned from the 2011-12 Champions League due to the scandal.
Another Turkish club Besiktas has also been charged in relation to match-fixing, while proceedings have been opened against Steaua Bucharest after their owner Gigi Becali was jailed for three years for offering a ?1.5m cash bribe to rival players to a throw a match.
UEFA said in a statement: "Following the investigation into alleged match-fixing activities involving Fenerbahce, the UEFA disciplinary inspector has now submitted his findings to the control and disciplinary body, in the context of disciplinary proceedings against this club and five club officials.
"This case will be heard by the UEFA control and disciplinary body on Saturday June 22.
"Proceedings have also been opened against Besiktas and two club officials in relation to match-fixing activities which are alleged to have taken place during the 2011 Turkish Cup final.
"Proceedings have also been opened against Steaua Bucharest on the basis of... the 2013/14 UEFA Champions League regulations, relating to the admission criteria for participation in UEFA competitions."
The decisions in the cases will be announced in the week starting June 24.
The 46-year-old's contract with the Gulls was terminated at the end of the 2012/13 season after he had been on sick leave for the final 20 matches of the season.
Ling has revealed he is back to full health and is looking forward to getting back into a dugout.
He told the Swindon Advertiser: "I went through an illness, it was stress-related and I was ill for three months. I've been well now for three months. Things are very good in that department.
"I felt I was poorly treated by Torquay in terms of promises that were broken in terms of the job.
"All I can say is I felt I did a good job at Torquay. This year when I left we were 17th with a game in hand and looking upwards.
"Then in the 20 games I wasn't active I lost my job for something I think I had no control over. It's a bit disappointing in that respect but all I can say now is I'm well, I'm CV-ing clubs to get back in asap.
"I'm looking for the next adventure for Martin Ling and the good news is I'm fit, well and able to look for that adventure - which is good on my part and my family's part."