English League 2

Harvey pens first pro deal

Share This Story

   
 

Sat, 22 Jun 2013 19:21:00

Aston Villa have confirmed Australian midfielder Brett Holman's contract has been cancelled by mutual consent.

Holman joined Villa on a free transfer from AZ Alkmaar 12 months ago in a deal that had been arranged by former manager Alex McLeish.

Paul Lambert subsequently replaced McLeish as Villa boss and he included Holman regularly in his plans last season.

The 29-year-old made 27 appearances in the Premier League and scored his only league goal in a 1-1 draw with Queens Park Rangers last December.

However, with Lambert having already agreed five new signings for next season, reports suggested Holman would be one of the players allowed to leave to make room for the arrivals.

His contract has now been terminated and Villa's decision has freed up Holman to complete a move to the Middle East.

United Arab Emirates club Al Nasr confirmed on Thursday that personal terms had been agreed with Holman, who needed to undergo a medical before finalising his move.

The Napoli and Uruguay striker has made no secret of the fact he wants to move this summer and he was also linked with Manchester City.

Napoli have since claimed City have pulled out of the race for Cavani because the Premier League club are not prepared to meet the 26-year-old's €63million (£54m) buyout clause.

That leaves Real and Chelsea to battle it out for the South American and he is flattered by the attention regarding his future.

He told media while at the Confederations Cup in Brazil: "Who would not be pleased by the interest of Real Madrid and Chelsea?"

But Cavani's immediate focus is on helping Uruguay to the semi-finals of the Confederations Cup ahead of their last group game against Tahiti.

The Copa America champions know they need to better the result of Nigeria against Spain in order to qualify having so far taken three points in the tournament.

Uruguay lost to Spain in their opening game but then beat Nigeria to give themselves a chance of qualifying and Cavani said: "I am concentrating only on the national team and the Confederations Cup.

"After the loss against Spain, we got what we needed against Nigeria to continue in the tournament."

He added: "Today, I am a Napoli player and I do not want to think about other things."

The youngster, who has been with the club since 2004, made 10 first-team appearances last season and was nominated for the League Two Apprentice of the Year award.

"I've got a lot of time for him," Argyle manager John Sheridan told the club's official website. "From what I've seen of him in training, he's got some really good qualities in his game.

"He's made that little step up, he trains with the first team and, even in training, he needs to score more goals.

"This year will do him the world of good and, with a good pre-season in him, next year, he'll be pushing for a place."

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by

SOCCER Headlines

More than Sports on MSN