McQuade keen to crack on
Tue, 30 Apr 2013 16:27:00
Bayern Munich boss Jupp Heynckes has revealed the penalties defeat by Chelsea in last season's Champions League final has helped drive them to the brink of a return to the final this campaign.
Heynckes' men were technically at home in a Munich final last year but their dreams were shattered when the Premier League side prevailed in a penalty shootout.
However, they have shown remarkable powers of recovery and are now armed with a 4-0 lead going into the second leg of their semi-final clash against Barcelona at the Nou Camp on Wednesday.
"When you experience a final like we did against Chelsea, then you understand all the consequences," Heynckes said.
"Some clubs give up, but everyone at Bayern reacted in a very positive way. We made changes, signed good players, modified some things, and strengthened the team spirit."
Bayern are not expected to be overturned by Barcelona but Heynckes is determined not to abandon the attitude he has developed at the club and insists they will not merely sit back and defend their first-leg advantage.
"We have to take into account the rival. We have our philosophy on football and this season we have proved that Bayern is a great team playing top quality football," he said.
"We have our culture and we are capable of scoring goals tomorrow at the Camp Nou.
"We can't think too much about the first-leg result. After the match we can evaluate things, but I cannot say which team is the better one.
"Barcelona have played at such a high level for so many years. Bayern want to prove that the match in Munich wasn't a one-off."
Academy manager Bentley has left after 14 years of service while Jules, who also played for the Spireites, has had a 17-year association with the club.
Chesterfield chief executive Chris Turner paid tribute to the pair.
He said: "Dave and Mark have both provided the club with tremendous service over the years and I'd like to thank them for their efforts.
"It's always a sad day when people leave after being at a club for a long time. I'd like to wish them both all the best for the future.
"Supporters can be assured that we're still as committed as ever to developing homegrown talent."
Bentley and Jules follow Paul Cook's former assistant manager Tommy Wright, reserve-team coach Mark Crossley, development coach John Dungworth and kit man Kurt McDermott through the exit door at the Proact Stadium as the League Two club reshape their backroom staff.
Goalkeeper Rhys Evans, defender Kevin Amankwaah, midfielder Mark Molesley and striker Guillem Bauza will not be retained while negotiations are ongoing with key trio Matt Oakley, John O'Flynn and Jamie Cureton.
"Unfortunately I can't afford to keep them here," he told the club's official website.
"There are others that I'm in negotiations to keep, if I can find the right amount of money - Jamie Cureton, John O'Flynn and Matt Oakley are all players I would like to keep.
"Amankwaah was one of the toughest decisions I've had to make and one of the most difficult conversations I've had.
He has been fantastic for us, so that has been particularly difficult.
"I've been impressed this year with Rhys Evans. He's definitely good enough to play league football and I'd have loved to have kept him.
"Guillem's had an unusual two years with us.
He and I will both be disappointed that he's not done more. He's been blighted with injury and never got a run in the side.
"Mark came in late in the season. On another day or another year, he'd have been a very good player to have in the squad going into next year."
The 23-year-old Frenchman has impressed for the Saints as they battled to stay in the Barclays Premier League and has been linked with a big-money summer move to Arsenal.
Schneiderlin, who was signed from Strasbourg in the summer of 2008 and has helped the St Mary's club bounce back from relegation to npower League One with successive promotions, has his sights firmly set on another impressive campaign in the top flight.
"I am happy because I have improved in every way, but I know that I still have steps to progress," he said in an interview with the official Southampton matchday programme.
"This year I have had a good season, but next year I want to be even better. For me, next year is going to be the real thing.
"I want to prove myself to everyone again, and to get even better.
"In football, if you stop improving then you'll automatically go backwards."
Despite all the attention, the young Frenchman intends to keep grounded.
Schneiderlin added: "I am not going to lie and say that I am not happy that people are speaking about me and my games, but there is no point in me having a good season and then disappearing the year after.
"The main thing for me is to keep this going and to be able to be better in every game I play.
"I don't like to judge myself - that is down to other people - but I know that I have the capacity to play in the Premier League and I want to spend the rest of my life playing here."
Arsenal are said to be ready to make a ?10million summer move for Schneiderlin, whom they would view as a replacement for injury-prone Abou Diaby.
However, Schneiderlin only recently signed a new contract extension in February, which ties him to the Saints until at least 2017.
The midfielder believes the south coast club can continue to progress under Mauricio Pochettino, whose side remain seven points clear of the relegation zone in 13th place following Saturday's disappointing 3-0 home defeat by West Brom.
He added: "I am sure that big things are going to happen to Southampton, and that next season is going to be a big step once again.
"Hopefully this season we can finish in the top 10 because that's our target, and next year we can take another step, maybe to reach the top six.
"Maybe people will say there is no chance of us doing that - I am sure they will think that. I say to them: keep laughing. We will see who laughs last."
Schneiderlin added: "Only the people who are around the squad and the city know what's going to happen to us.
"We have a training ground that is going to be unbelievable and we have players who are very good so it is a matter of time until Southampton reaches the top in England. The future is bright."
Southampton, meanwhile, this afternoon paid tribute to former defender Kevin Moore, who died on Monday at the age of 55 following a long-term battle against Pick's disease, a form of dementia. Moore joined the Saints from home-town club Grimsby in 1987, scoring in the 1992 Zenit Data Systems final defeat against Nottingham Forest at Wembley. He made 185 appearances for Southampton, with 13 goals, before leaving to join Fulham in 1994.
The versatile defender has trained with Graham Turner's squad in recent weeks, impressing the Shrews boss while featuring for the reserves following his release from Bolton.
The 20-year-old is yet to make his professional debut but is hoping to make an impact next season.
He told the club's official website: "It's exciting to have something sorted out for next season.
"I spoke to the manager and everything seems really positive. I can hopefully crack on now and get a few games under my belt.
"I've played a few games in the reserves already so got to know the staff and the players. They've all been welcoming."