Gayle completes Palace move
Wed, 03 Jul 2013 17:37:00
Bundesliga outfit Eintracht Frankfurt have confirmed central defender Vadim Demidov has left the club by mutual consent.
Demidov, who was on loan at Primera Division side Celta Vigo from January until the end of last season, had a contract with the German club which ran until June 2015.
He returned to the Bundesliga side after deciding not to continue his career at Celta, who had an option to buy him after his loan spell.
A statement on Frankfurt's official website said: "On Wednesday July 3 the contract between Eintracht Frankfurt and player Vadim Demidov which ran to June 30, 2015 was dissolved by mutual consent with immediate effect.
"Eintracht Frankfurt wish Demidov all the best for his sporting and personal future."
The Norfolk club shattered their record transfer fee with the acquisition of the Holland forward from Sporting Lisbon, and are expected to further bolster the squad with a Â£3.5m move for Birmingham's England Under-21 winger Nathan Redmond.
For much of the second half of last season Hughton's team struggled to find the net, which saw the Canaries dragged back into a survival scrap before eventually scoring four against West Brom and then three in the win at Manchester City on the final day to pull clear of the relegation zone and finish a creditable 11th.
While Hughton is clearly hoping Van Wolfswinkel will give his side a much-needed cutting edge in the final third, the Norwich boss is cautious against heaping too much responsibility on the 24-year-old.
"We have brought Ricky in here for a particular reason, but he is a team player, first and foremost, that has a responsibility to the team to lead the line and ultimately score goals, but that comes with the territory," said Hughton.
"I don't believe with how tactical and the speed of the game nowadays that you can just be a goal scorer, first and foremost you have to be a team player."
Hughton added: "The responsibility Ricky has is a normal one for a football player, he wants to do well.
"If there is a pressure on any individual, the nature of those type of people is to welcome it and not shy away from it.
"You have to go out and cross that white line in front of thousands of people and there is always that responsibility, but that is what these players enjoy."
Van Wolfswinkel earned his second senior Dutch cap against Indonesia in June, and is confident he can make a quick transition from the Portuguese league to the hustle-and-bustle of the English top flight.
"I want to show from day one what I can do and I hope for a great season," he said.
"At the beginning, it will be new for the defenders who play against me, that will change after a while - but if they know how I play or if they don't know how I play, it will always be up to me to do well for the team.
"I know my qualities fit in the English league."
Club captain Grant Holt, who has been linked with a move away from Norwich since Van Wolfswinkel's arrival, was top scorer again last season but with just eight league goals.
Former Vitesse Arnhem and FC Utrecht forward Van Wolfswinkel, though, is determined not to set any targets for a first season at Carrow Road.
"I just want to be important for the team as well as score goals," he said, "but I know I am ready. I will score goals everywhere I play.
"Last year I scored 15 times for Sporting, and also goals in the Europa League, while the year before I was up around 25 for the season.
"I was also getting a good share of opening goals and the crucial goals in games and they are important if you want to win matches.
"I was the main striker and I had to accept that responsibility.
"The manager has said I am a team player also, so it will not only be down to me.
"I will do my best, but I am a team player."
Sweden international Ola Toivonen at PSV Eindhoven is another reported target for Hughton ahead of a three-match tour of the United States later this month.
However, Norwich's resolve over England goalkeeper John Ruddy looks set to be tested by Chelsea, who appear ready to significantly improve their Â£5million offer which was rejected out of hand by the Carrow Road hierarchy.
The 22-year-old has signed a four-year contract with Palace and is looking forward to working with boss Ian Holloway.
He told the club's official website: "I'm ecstatic really. I just want to get pre-season started now.
"The chance came and I had to grab it because I might not get another chance. To be playing in the Premier League from where I've come from is a big achievement really.
"I'm just really looking forward to it and hopefully I can take the opportunity with both hands and do well.
"Ian Holloway is good manager and for him to point out my talent and my ability is a good feeling. I just hope I can repay him with goals for the club and help them stay in the Premier League.
"He's built a very attacking side, which is what you need really. You need to score goals to win games to keep you up and to win trophies, which he proved last season."
Gayle originally joined Peterborough on loan from Dagenham and Redbridge in November 2012 before making the move permanent for a fee of Â£500,000 during the January transfer window.
He made a big impact at London Road with 13 goals in 29 appearances but was not able to prevent their relegation to League One.
The transfer to Palace could reportedly be worth up to Â£8.5m to Peterborough when add-ons are included, while the Daggers stand to net a windfall after inserting a 20 per cent sell-on clause when Gayle moved to Posh.
Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony tweeted: "Just want to wish Dwight Gayle all the best in scaring the life out of Prem League defenders for Crystal Palace. What a signing for them!
"Also want to say that Palace & their Chairman were different class to deal with & incredibly professional. All the best!"