English League 1

Davis realistic on Clayton

Share This Story

   
 

Tue, 11 Jun 2013 17:19:00

Barcelona forward Pedro has reiterated his desire to stay at the club for the foreseeable future.

The 25-year-old Spain international played 40 times for Barca in all competitions last season, scoring seven goals.

However, he may see his opportunities limited at Camp Nou next campaign following the arrival of Brazilian superstar Neymar from Santos.

Pedro, who has been at Barca since the age of 17, has always indicated he is happy to stay at the club.

Speaking at a press conference in Brazil ahead of Spain's Confederations Cup opener with Uruguay on Sunday, Pedro again said of his future: "There is nothing at the moment, I am calm.

"I trust this club, my team-mates and I hope to stay for a long time."

When quizzed on his new club mate Neymar, who he could also face at the Confederations Cup, he added: "[Neymar] is one of the best players in the world nowadays and as I have always said, the best deserve to be at Barcelona.

"It will be a pleasure to have him with us and I hope he can show all of his talent."

The 20-year-old signed his first professional deal last summer having impressed for the U's reserve and youth sides.

Ladapo went on to make four substitute appearances last season and is keen to add to that tally and play a bigger role for Colchester next term.

"It's great to have signed a new deal and I can't wait to get started again," he told the club's official website.

"I've wanted to play first-team football since I was a little kid so it was fantastic to make my debut and get on for a few matches.

"It was a big step for me in my career - I want to take further steps this season by starting for the first team and seeing if I can become a regular in the side."

The striker represented 11 clubs in seven countries and won over 50 caps for Egypt but arguably failed to fulfil his talent and has been without a club since being released by Barnsley in January.

Starting out his career at Egyptian club Zamalek, Mido secured his first move to Europe with a transfer to Belgian club Gent in 2000, moving on to make his name at Ajax from 2001 to 2003.

With stops at France, Spain and Italy in between, the Egpytian international first graced British shores in 2005 with a loan move to Tottenham Hotspur. Scoring 13 goals in 36 appearances impressed the then Spurs boss Martin Jol enough for a permanent move. He failed to impress however, leading to Middlesbrough swooping for the out-of-favour striker, who departed to Teeside for ?6million.

Three years at Middlesbrough merely extended Mido's unsuccessful stay in England, with four loan moves - including ones to Wigan and West Ham - culminating in him moving back to home club Zamalek in 2011. A short stay at Championship club Barnsley last season merely delayed his retirement, and he left in January.

He wrote on Twitter today: "Today, I announce my retirement as a footballer. I would like to thank everyone who supported me during my career and especially all my fans."

The 20-year-old has now sealed his move from Penarol after a deal was previously agreed.

"I'm very pleased to be a part of this club, one of the best teams in the world," Varela, who impressed in a two-week trial with United in May, said on the club's official website.

Varela will represent Uruguay at the Under-20 World Cup in Turkey later this month before joining up with his new team-mates.

He added: "As everyone in the world knows, this is a huge club that has won everything and I really hope that continues.

"I'm very lucky there are quite a few Spanish-speakers here. It will certainly help me settle in.''

Varela will provide competition for first choice right-back Rafael, who enjoyed his best season for the club last term.

The 18-year-old currently looks unlikely to commit his future to the club beyond the forthcoming season despite meetings between his agent and the manager.

"I have met with Max's agent and we are really no further in regards to him re-signing," Davis told the club's official website. "I would say it is unlikely he will extend his contract.

"There are options available to us as a club. He is our player and there would have to be a compensation package if he was to go next summer.

"What we want first and foremost is for Max to establish himself in our first team, playing well and scoring goals to help the club. We will do what is best for us as a club and of course for him."

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by