English Championship

Promotion is the aim for Coyle

Share This Story

   
 

Fri, 14 Jun 2013 18:15:00

New Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has promised the club's supporters they will enjoy watching their team in action next season.

The Chilean has been appointed as Roberto Mancini's successor on a three-year contract with a clear instruction to play better football and win trophies after they missed out on silverware last term.

Pellegrini said: "Everyone knows if you arrive at a club like Manchester City you need to win titles.

"I think Manchester City have invested a lot of money to improve the squad every year and try, every year, to win titles.

"They were not successful in winning some titles but I am sure we are going to win - maybe the Premier League, the Champions League. We will try to win a lot.

"My first message is to tell all the supporters they will enjoy the season. I am sure they will enjoy the way our team will play. We will play an attractive, offensive play.

"I think Roberto did a great job here in Manchester. It is not easy to win the title after 44 years.

"But I think we start now a new cycle, a new style of club, adding to what Roberto has done over the years.

"I hope Manchester City will start another way of playing football.

"I am sure we have the best squad in the Premier League. We have wonderful players and can win important titles in the next three or four seasons."

Pellegrini has more than 25 years' of managerial experience in South America and Spain and is renowned for his man-management ability.

He added: "I think all my experience will help me at Manchester City.

"With Malaga I reached the quarter-final of the Champions League, with Villarreal also and the semi-final. All my experience will be very useful for me.

"I am sure we are going to have a very good season.

"I can tell all the fans of Manchester City I work very hard. I am very persistent in what I want to reach.

"I am sure, 100 per cent, I will not have any problems coming to the Premier League. I will adapt without any problems."

Coyle, who has been out of work since he was sacked by Bolton in October, has signed a rolling 12-month contract understood to include bonus incentives should he secure promotion at the first attempt.

Formalities are expected to be completed on Monday but the 46-year-old, who guided Burnley to the top flight in 2009, told Sky Sports News he is ready for the challenge.

"I think everyone recognises that Wigan are a fantastic club led by a superb chairman and they obviously want to get back to the Premier League," Coyle said.

"It was a blow to lose their Premier League status last year but we've got to do is take them back as quickly as possible.

"There's no doubt (that I'm ready to come into the game).

"I've been there, I've done it and I'm looking forward to trying to get Wigan back to the Premier League and hopefully that's at the first opportunity."

Coyle faces a battle to keep key men like Arouna Kone, Callum McManaman and James McCarthy at the club but said he was determined to add to an existing pool of talent.

"There's a load of talented players here and that's something I found exciting about the opportunity," he added. "You always want to keep your best players. The chairman has always said that if the right offer comes in Wigan Athletic will never stand in their way but, perosnally, I would want to keep them. We'll see what the next couple of months bring.

"There's no doubt it's a talented squad but what we've got to do is add to that squad. It'll be a busy summer."

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by