English Championship

Poyet sacked by Brighton

Share This Story

   
 

Sun, 23 Jun 2013 21:51:00

Borussia Monchengladbach have rubbished reports suggesting that Barcelona have lodged a bid for Marc-Andre Ter Stegen.

The 21-year-old is considered to be one of European football's most promising goalkeepers.

His development has been noted by clubs in Germany and across the continent, with Barca among those to have cast an admiring eye in his direction.

The Catalan giants are in the market for a long-term replacement for Victor Valdes, who has decided against extending his contract at Camp Nou, but Monchengladbach are adamant that they have fielded no requests from Spain.

Director of football Max Eberl told Fohlen-Hautnah: "He's here. Any further comment about it would be too much.

"If the Spaniards like to invent these stories, it's another thing.

"Neither the player nor Borussia Monchengladbach know anything about any interest, a deal or an agreement. We're building something up here, and I think he likes being a part of it."

On reports that Ter Stegen has a release clause in his contract, Eberl added: "His agent said this six times before to newspapers (that there is no clause).

"Now I say it for the seventh time - and I don't want to be asked about it again."

The 25-year-old, who scored 12 goals for Celta last season, has signed a long-term contract with the Reds after passing his medical at Melwood.

The deal is subject to international clearance, Liverpool announced on their website.

Liverpool, who announced last week they had reached an agreement in principle to sign Aspas, did not disclose the transfer fee but it is believed to be around £7.7million.

Celta's successful fight against relegation from the Primera Division on the final day of the season earlier this month held up progress.

The Spaniard is Liverpool's third signing of the summer after agreeing a deal for Man City defender Kolo Toure and yesterday completing the capture of Luis Alberto from Sevilla.

Brighton released a statement on Sunday afternoon revealing Poyet's exit following a decision by the npower Championship club's internal disciplinary panel.

The statement claimed the club had informed Poyet of the decision, however, the stunned boss refuted that live on air after learning the news while acting as a pundit on the BBC for the Confederations Cup.

Poyet said he had received no communication from the club and that he had only become aware of the decision after BBC staff handed him a copy of the Brighton statement while on set during the first half of the match between Spain and Nigeria.

"I think the BBC have a great story forever, because a manager getting information that he is being released from his employment by the BBC is quite surprising," he said.

"I have had no communication, no texts, no e-mail. I didn't recieve anything on my phone so it is all up to you and the timing.

"The only thing I'm concentrating on is the appeal. I will appeal because it's the right thing to do."

Poyet's feud with the club has gathered pace since Brighton suffered play-off defeat to Crystal Palace last month.

The Uruguayan, assistant manager Mauricio Taricco and coach Charlie Oatway were subsequently told to stay away from the club in the wake of a disciplinary hearing.

Brighton have remained tight-lipped over the reasons for the action, although Taricco's ban has since been lifted.

Poyet said he had not expected today's decision, which comes after a disciplinary hearing had to be adjourned this week after he opted not to attend, despite ongoing conversations between his lawyers and Brighton.

"Not really. Today there have been plenty of phone calls between the representatives," he said.

"Everybody and the viewers can take their own conclusion about the way I have been informed.

"(Are they) messing with my career? We'll see. I think it is too early to say. I'm looking forward to making sure we clear this."

Brighton now appear likely to appoint an interim manager - with the players due to report back for pre-season tomorrow - after admitting in their statement they would be forced to wait for the result of any Poyet appeal before moving on.

"Gus Poyet has been informed today by Brighton & Hove Albion football club's internal disciplinary panel that his employment has been terminated with immediate effect," the club's statement read.

"This followed his suspension, an investigation, and a subsequent formal disciplinary process.

"In line with the club's own procedures, and UK employment law, Mr Poyet now has a right of appeal. As such, the club will make no further comment on this matter or recent LMA statements at this time.

"Given the close proximity of the new season, the club will, in conjunction with its board, now seek to appoint an interim manager pending the outcome of a possible appeal.

"The interim manager will oversee the initial weeks of pre-season preparation alongside the club's existing staff.

"The club's first-team players report back as planned for pre-season testing tomorrow, Monday 24th June, with the squad's first technical sessions commencing on Thursday 27th June. The team play Whitehawk on Saturday 6th July and leave for their summer training camp in Spain on 14th July."

The League Managers' Association this week backed Poyet's decision to initially skip his disciplinary hearing, and said the charges against him were, in its opinion, "unfounded".

Brighton reacted by threatening to take action against the LMA in a statement.

"Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club was disappointed and concerned to see comments made by the League Managers' Association in advance of the reconvened disciplinary hearing involving Gus Poyet.

"The LMA's statement was neither fair nor accurate.

"The club will not comment further at this stage because it is important that the disciplinary hearing takes place according to the relevant timescales and procedures.

"Meantime, the LMA is fully aware that the club has reserved its right to consider further action regarding the LMA's statement once the disciplinary process is complete."

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by