Bundesliga

Lewandowski denies assault charge

Robert Lewandowski of Borussia Dortmund looks on prior to the start the friendly match between Borussia Dortmund and Standard de Liege
Robert Lewandowski denied the assault charges on his Facebook page on Thursday.
FOX Soccer.com
Share This Story

   
 

CRASH COURSE

Catch all the movers and shakers from this winter's transfer window.

A 17-year-old student claims that Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski allegedly assaulted him Thursday evening, Dortmund spokesman Sascha Fligge confirmed to German sports network Sport1.

According to reports, Lewandowski allegedly struck the teenager in the face after a confrontation outside his Dortmund home, believed to have stemmed from the Polish striker's summer move to Dortmund rival Bayern Munich.

“Several teenagers offended and berated Robert in the presence of his wife,” Fligge said. “According to his own account, he then stepped out of his car and put his hand on the teen’s shoulder and asked him why he was doing that.”

The teen reportedly answered, “because you make too much money and are going to [expletive] Bayern.”

According to Fligge, Lewandowski told the teen that one shouldn’t act this way, but at no point struck the 17-year-old. Lewandowski reiterated his account on his personal Facebook page:

 

The teen, for his part, offered a quite different story, telling Bild that Lewandowski hit him square on his forehead, causing him to fall backwards. Dortmund police reportedly received an official charge from the teen and his father against Lewandowski.

Dortmund chief Hans-Joachim Watzke aligned himself with his Bayern-bound striker. “I’ve spoken with Robert. I believe him. We stand by him with everything we have,” Watzke said.

Earlier in the month, Bayern announced in a statement that Lewandowski, who pushed for a move to the Bavarian powerhouse last summer, signed a five-year deal through June 2019 that will take effect from July 1. Dortmund declined the opportunity to let the forward leave for a transfer fee last summer, after the club failed to reach an agreement following efforts to extend his four-year contract.

Lewandowski is the second key player to leave Dortmund for Bayern since the sides met in the UEFA Champions League final last May, with Germany attacking midfielder Mario Goetze's signing also announced well in advance of his eventual move.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by

More than Sports on MSN