MIAMI — It’s no surprise Marcus Camby won’t be coming to the Miami Heat.
A source had told FOX Sports Florida on Friday the Heat had backed off on the center. And sources said Sunday that Camby will sign a one-year contract with the Houston Rockets for the $1.4 million minimum.
A source had said a week ago that Camby’s final three choices were the Heat, Rockets and Chicago Bulls. But while the Rockets and Bulls opted to bring Camby in for visits, the Heat ended up being not as keen about signing the center, who will be 40 next March.
The Heat remain committed to going after free-agent center Greg Oden, who is expected to make a decision soon. Miami coach Erik Spoelstra and vice president of player personnel Chet Kammerer observed Oden in a workout last week in his hometown of Indianapolis.
“If we get Greg Oden, I think we will win a third (straight) title,” Heat scout Tim Hardaway said in an interview with FOX Sports Florida on Saturday.
Oden hasn’t played in an NBA game since 2009 due to knee injuries. But he has been said to be looking good in his recovery, and San Antonio, Dallas, Sacramento, New Orleans and Atlanta are also interested in signing him.
Camby had become available when he was traded earlier this month from New York to Toronto, and then had his contract bought out by the Raptors. The Heat also had looked at him in free agency last summer before he chose the Knicks.
Camby is comfortable in Houston, where he has a home. He spent the last part of the 2011-12 season with the Rockets.