Rays' Alex Cobb waiting to hear from MLB on concussion test
Rays pitcher Alex Cobb anticipates a late July/early August return to the mound.
By ANDREW ASTLEFORD FS Florida
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla --Tampa Bay Rays right-hander
Alex Cobb continues to progress in his recovery from a mild concussion, throwing his third bullpen session Thursday at Tropicana Field.
Cobb was placed on the concussion disabled list June 16 after a line drive off the bat of the
Kansas City Royals’
Eric Hosmer struck him on the right ear June 15 at Tropicana Field. He is 6-2 with a 3.01 ERA in 13 starts this season.
Cobb said "everything went well" in Thursday's 47-pitch session and that his arm continues to get stronger. He said he took a concussion test Wednesday and is waiting to hear back from Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association regarding the results, though he said doctors gave him positive reviews.
"I’m getting more game-ready with the arm," said Cobb, whose second bullpen session took place Monday. "Not much new from the last time."
In addition to the bullpen sessions and concussion tests, Cobb said he participated in pitchers' fielding practice earlier this week. Head athletic trainer Ron Porterfield had Cobb stand behind a screen while pitching coach Jim Hickey hit line drives toward Cobb to test reaction.
Cobb said he still anticipates a late July/early August return, though he added that the late July target "might be a little bit of a push." He said he still has occasional experiences with vertigo but pitching doesn't seem to aggravate the condition.
"It will come," Cobb said of recovery from vertigo. "It will go away."
Cobb, 25, anticipates the next step of his recovery coming Sunday, when he will either throw another bullpen session or live batting practice. The choice is unknown at this time.