Police backtrack on charge against Maurice Jones-Drew
MAY 28, 2013 2:11p ET
Hours after releasing a statement Tuesday that said Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew had been charged with misdemeanor battery, the St. Augustine (Fla.) Police Department released a new statement that said he has not been charged.
"Jones-Drew has not been charged with any crime and maintains his innocence," the statement read. "He is cooperating fully with our investigation. This matter is an on-going investigation at this time. As soon as we complete our investigation we will send out a release with our findings or conclusion."
According to a police report, the 28-year-old Jones-Drew became involved in an incident around 8 p.m. Sunday at the Conch House Restaurant and Marina.
An altercation broke out on the restaurant's dock after a staff member confronted a group of customers about touching a female guest.
The staff member told police he asked the group to leave and a member of the group smacked him on the chest. Things began to escalate and, when a security consultant stepped in and grabbed the arm of one of the men in the group, another man — identified in the police report as Jones-Drew — allegedly punched the security guard in the left cheek.
"To be clear, Maurice was not involved in any verbal or physical altercation, whatsoever, and we are confident that in due time the facts will demonstrate as much," responded Jones-Drew's agent, Adisa Bakari, when asked for comment.
The security guard was taken to Flagler Hospital. He suffered a jaw contusion but "no breaks or fractures" according to the police report.
St. Augustine police collected statements from three witnesses, as well as video footage from the restaurant's security cameras.
The Jaguars released a statement saying they are aware of the situation, but they declined any further comment.
+ SHOW COMMENTS +