The NCAA is planning to interview Miami football player Dyron Dye again to review discrepancies in the investigation.
By ASSOCIATED PRESSFS Florida
CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -- NCAA investigators are planning to interview Miami football player Dyron Dye with the belief that there are discrepancies between what he told them previously and what he wrote in an affidavit in support of a former Hurricanes assistant coach, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press.
Meanwhile, in separate affidavits, Dye and former Miami quarterback Jacory Harris both said that when they were interviewed by the NCAA shortly after news of the scandal broke in August 2011, now-retired investigator Rich Johanningmeier threatened their scholarships and remaining eligibility, according to documents obtained Friday by AP.
The developments come less than three weeks before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions -- a group that is separate from the association's investigators -- is scheduled to begin hearing the case against the Hurricanes, most of which revolves around ties that players, coaches, recruits and administrators had with former booster Nevin Shapiro.
If the NCAA can prove Dye misled them in either or both of his two previous interviews with investigators, he may face the same unethical conduct allegation -- a breach of Rule 10.1 as it's known around college athletics -- that the association brought against three former Miami football and basketball assistant coaches in February.
Dye and Harris, according to the person who spoke with the AP, both wrote their affidavits on behalf of one of those former assistant coaches, Aubrey Hill. Several other former Miami players also wrote affidavits on Hill's behalf, though of those, only Dye has been targeted for another interview with NCAA investigators.
Of all the Miami football players and recruits named in the notice of allegations, Dye is the only one with eligibility remaining with the Hurricanes.
"I felt compelled to testify in a manner that would be consistent with the manner in which Mr. Johanningmeier was directing me in order to keep my eligibility," Dye wrote in his affidavit, speaking of his Aug. 16, 2011, interview with the NCAA.
The NCAA did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Dye has already met with Miami officials and has retained an attorney, according to the person who spoke with AP on condition of anonymity because none of the information was to be released publicly.
The NCAA told Miami this week that Dye's affidavit "conflicts with previous information he reported to the enforcement staff."
It's unclear when Dye will meet with the NCAA. The association wanted the meeting to occur Friday, and has told Miami that it would make itself available over the Memorial Day weekend if necessary.
Miami is scheduled to go before the NCAA on June 13 in Indianapolis.
Dye was a tight end last season and was planning to move to defensive end this year. He was injured in Miami's spring game, casting some doubt over his availability for his final collegiate season.
Shapiro is the convicted felon who masterminded a $930 million Ponzi scheme and is serving a 20-year term in federal prison.