Maurice Jones-Drew will not face charges in bar incident

Maurice Jones-Drew will avoid charges regarding an incident at a bar and restaurant May 26.

No charges will be brought against Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew regarding an incident at a bar and restaurant May 26 in St. Augustine in which he was accused of assaulting and injuring a security person.

Assistant state attorney Christopher France filed an "announcement of no information" Tuesday. A news release from the State Attorney’s Office said the state "cannot establish the charge beyond and to the exclusion of a reasonable doubt."

Kasim Howard, who was working in security for the Conch House, claimed he suffered a dislocated jaw and spinal injuries as a result of a sucker punch thrown by Jones-Drew. The altercation took place while the Jaguars had excused Jones-Drew from taking part in organized team activities so he could be in Miami to continue rehabilitation of a foot injury.

Patrick Canan, who is Howard’s attorney, said he is considering bringing a civil suit based on a surveillance video and eyewitness accounts. The three-minute silent video shows Jones-Drew being led away early on, although it’s difficult to make out him throwing a punch.
"I don’t understand why they didn’t bring a charge," Canan said, "But that’s their decision.”

Jones-Drew, 28, led the NFL in rushing in 2011 but has played in only five games since then — first because of a contract holdout, followed by an injury that required surgery six months ago. During a charity golf tournament that he helped put on last weekend, he told the Florida Times-Union that he expects to be ready for training camp in late July.

"That’s my goal. I want to be back out there with my teammates," he said. "I miss those guys not being able to do battle with them. That was tough, especially the year we had."

The Jaguars went 2-14 in 2012, the worst record in franchise history.

You can follow Ken Hornack on Twitter @HornackFSFla or email him at khornack32176@gmail.com.