Cosart, Marlins address gambling investigation

Miami Marlins starting pitcher Jarred Cosart has been scratched from his start on Friday night in Kissimmee with a blister on his right middle finger.

Steve Mitchell/Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports

JUPITER, Fla. — The Miami Marlins addressed the current Major League Baseball investigation concerning alleged social media posts from right-hander Jarred Cosart.

On late Tuesday, an article from Total Frat Move posted alleged screenshots between Cosart’s Twitter account (@JarredCosart) and @ghostfadekillah discussing betting. By Wednesday morning, the story gained steam. MLB Rule 21 prohibits gambling on baseball.

"I was caught off guard by the whole situation," Cosart said. "All I’m really saying to everyone is I’m following the MLB protocol and talking with MLB security. They’re taking care of this. That’s where I stand right now. That’s it."

President of baseball operations Michael Hill said the Marlins have not been given a timeframe on how long the investigation will take. He didn’t know whether it would carry over into the regular season, which opens in 11 days.

"We’re not going to speculate on anything," Hill said. "No hypotheticals. We’ll let it all play out. When it comes to a conclusion we’ll know what we need to do if anything."

Cosart has been scratched from his start on Friday night in Kissimmee with a blister on his right middle finger. He developed it during his last outing on Sunday against the Minnesota Twins.

Over four Grapefruit League outings, Cosart is 0-2 with an 8.49 ERA. He has given up 11 runs on 18 hits in 11 2/3 innings. He has been in line as the No. 3 starter in the rotation.

Manager Mike Redmond said Cosart would play catch on Thursday and see how it feels before being reevaluated. Lefty Brad Hand will get the nod in his place.

"I think it’s more about getting that blister — those things can become a huge problem for pitchers," Redmond said. "I think you all remember when Josh Beckett had those blister problems. He’s had it in the past, so it’s something you’ve got to take care of and make sure we’re on top of and get healthy, so it doesn’t become a big deal for him."

When asked whether the situation surprised him, Hill laughed. He and the rest of the organization found out about it via the online article like everyone else.

Later in the day, someone claiming to be Cosart tweeted from @COSARTJL addressing the issue and claiming his previous account had been accessed.

"Anything else that happened after that’s not me," Cosart said. "My other one’s completely deleted and being looked at by Major League Baseball. All the new ones (are) not me. That’s been confiscated as well."

Asked whether this could be a disruption with Opening Day set for April 6, both Hill and Redmond said no.

As for whether the club cautions its players about social media?

"This situation aside, you just need to be mindful of what’s out there," Hill said.

Added Redmond: "These guys are big boys. You’ve got to be careful, be mindful of it. That’s probably the message."

You can follow Christina De Nicola on Twitter @CDeNicola13 or email her at cdenicola13@gmail.com.