Injured man’s attorney calls out Maurice Jones-Drew

The case surrounding an incident Sunday night in St. Augustine involving Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew took another twist Thursday with a statement from the attorney who originally represented the security officer in question.
Gregory Anderson claimed that Kasim Howard suffered a dislocated jaw and spinal injuries as a result of a punch thrown by Jones-Drew at the Conch House Restaurant. Anderson is now representing the restaurant, while Patrick Canan has taken over the case on behalf of Howard.
In a press release emailed to the Florida Times-Union, Anderson wrote, “The current attempts by some to characterize this as a ‘scuffle’ are misleading and unsupported by any evidence.  Any fair-minded person watching the video has to conclude that Mr. Jones-Drew initiated an unprovoked attack on Mr. Howard and then literally ran away from the scene.”
In the police report, the officer of record noted that he had received security footage of the altercation. 
On Tuesday, the St. Augustine Police Department released a statement saying Jones-Drew, 28, had been charged with misdemeanor battery, only to release a new statement hours later saying he had not been charged and that he was “cooperating fully” with the investigation.
Jones-Drew’s attorney, Adisa Bakari, has said his client “was not involved in any verbal or physical altercation, whatsoever.”
Jones-Drew missed the Jaguars’ three organized team activities last week after receiving permission from general manager Dave Caldwell and coach Gus Bradley to train in South Florida. He led the NFL in rushing in 2011 with 1,606 yards but took part in a contract holdout during OTAs last offseason and then suffered a foot injury last October which sidelined him for the rest of the year and required surgery in late December.
No other players on the Jaguars are believed to have been present at the time of the incident or involved with it.
You can follow Ken Hornack on Twitter @HornackFSFla or email him at