FOX Sports Exclusive
Fred Jackson injury fantasy impact
Well, that didn't take long. Chan Gailey told reporters today that running back Fred Jackson will miss at least the next three games with a right knee injury. Todays MRI revealed nothing specific, which is actually worse for fantasy owners because how do you treat an injury when you don't know what is wrong? It doesn't help that Jackson was already returning from an injury in 2011 (broken leg) and hadn't solidified himself as the definitive number one back. Adding salt to the fantasy wound of Jackson owners was the play of C.J. Spiller (owned in 78.2 percent of all fantasy leagues). He rushed for 169 yards on 14 carries with a touchdown. An impressive performance considering how well he played down the stretch of last season. Hopefully fantasy football owners who drafted Jackson picked up Spiller as insurance, but if not, here are my top available fantasy running backs/FLEX options:
- Alfred Morris - sure it's Shanahan's RBBC mess, but you need to add depth to your running back stable ASAP
- Ronnie Brown - this is a rental as Ryan Mathews should return in a few weeks, but with few threats behind him, the veteran running back could provide owners a viable option at running back
- Danny Amendola - remains Sam Bradford's top target (nine in Week 1) and is available in 85 percent of leagues
- Stephen Hill - he emerged as a rookie fantasy football flier in early August, but the play of the Jets' offense quickly diluted his overall value. He reminded us all why we were high on him in the first place versus the Bills.
- Andre Roberts - not a household fantasy name, but was targeted nine times, caught five balls for 54 yards and a touchdown.
Have more questions? Hit me up on Twitter @FOXSportsFowler.
More Stories From Ryan Fowler