Replacing Bryce Harper
Nationals OF Bryce Harper had surgery on his thumb Tuesday and will be out until July. If your fantasy squad includes Harper, we're ready to help you in your time of need. Based on FOXSports.com ownership percentages, here are some possible replacements that should cover your bases in most fornats:
* Alejandro De Aza (36.9 percent owned) hit 17 home runs with 84 runs scored and 20 stolen bases last season, and appears ready for a repeat campaign.
* Ben Revere (33.1 percent owned) won't provide any of Harper's power, but he's tearing it up on the bases with nine steals. So is Eric Young (10.2 percent owned), who has 12 stolen bases already.
* Marcell Ozuna (25.8 percent owned) has improved for the Marlins, and looks headed for 15 home runs with a solid BA.
* Miami's Garrett Jones (2.4 percent owned) has four home runs, and will probably hit 20-25 for the season.
* Harper's real-life replacement, Nate McLouth (0.8 percent owned), had 12 homers and 30 steals for the Nats last season, and could be available in NL-only leagues.
* Arizona's Tony Campana (0.1 percent owned) doesn't play a lot, but has four steals so far in a reserve role.
On to the rest of the news:
The Brewers still aren't sure about the return timetables of OF Ryan Braun (oblique) and Jean Segura, but it sounds like Braun could be headed for the DL while Segura returns Wednesday or Thursday. In other Brew Crew news, 3B Aramis Ramirez left Monday's game with a bruised elbow, and is day to day.
Padres 2B Jedd Gyorko is on paternity leave, and might not return until Friday.
A's manager Bob Melvin hinted Mnnday night that Jim Johnson is close to regaining his closer role. A's OF Yoenis Cespedes (hamstring) is 50-50 to return to action tonight; he hasn't played since Thursday.
Streaming starters: Tyson Ross wasn't so good Monday, so we're down to 17-11 for the season. Today's pick is Jonathon Niese (5.8 percent owned) at Philadelphia, while Wednesday's selection is my best pal Nathan Eovaldi (23.7 percent owned) versus the Braves.
The Blue Jays are making a change at second base, from one guy that can't hit to another guy that can't hit. However, if your AL-only team is desperate for a few steals, you can pick up the latter (Chris Getz).
Guess who's going to be in the FOXSports.com fantasy chat room tonight at 7 p.m. ET? ME (!!!), so please stop by if you can. Since I started this blog post at 5:30 a.m. today, that'll make it a 14.5-hour workday for me ... not counting the two or three naps I'm planning to take, or the trip to the driving range.
See you back here tomorrow morning.