Cycling

CAS upholds Italian cyclist Ricco's 12-year ban

Share This Story

   
 

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP)

Italian cyclist Riccardo Ricco has lost his appeal against a 12-year ban for blood doping.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport says it dismissed Ricco's appeal against the ban imposed by the Italian Olympic Committee's anti-doping body.

CAS says arbitrator Ulrich Haas ''considered that the arguments of the rider were unfounded.''

Haas ruled that Ricco ''failed to demonstrate a lack of impartiality'' by the Italian tribunal.

CAS says Ricco ''had to be admitted to hospital urgently after he transfused his own blood'' in February 2011.

The ban runs until April 2024.

Ricco was previously banned for doping at the 2008 Tour de France.

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by



FOX SPORTS Videos

Hood: Another black eye for Cycling Posted: Aug 24, 2012
Andrew Hood of Velo News discusses Lance Armstrong's decision to drop his challe...

London Beat: Cyclists take silver in team pursuit Posted: Aug 06, 2012
Cyclists Dotsie Bausch and Jennie Reed join FOXSports.com to talk about their si...

In Focus: Dotsie Bausch Posted: Jul 12, 2012
Laura Okmin tells the triumphant story of track cyclist Dotsie Bausch.

Fox Sports Store