FOX Sports Exclusive
Buzz: Radio host offers bounty
Former Miami football player and current radio host Dan Sileo has never shied away from controversy.
Now, Sileo is finding himself in more hot water after sending out a tweet offering a bounty to any Miami player who injures FSU running back Devonta Freeman if and when the ‘Noles and ‘Canes meet in the ACC championship game.
Here are the tweets, since deleted but preserved by Tomahawk Nation on its Facebook page:
Secondly, what makes Sileo so sure Miami will be playing in the ACC Championship Game? UM still has four league games left, and just a one-game lead in the division. (And Sileo saw how they looked against North Carolina and Wake Forest, right?)
In any case, Sileo took to Twitter again later Sunday to apologize — sort of — for the messages, assuring fans that they were just a joke while also continuing to insult followers who dared to disagree with him:
PEOPLE Im KIDDING about the 1000 ....GET A LIFE............I dont make a 1000 a week......I HATE WHAT THIS KID DID pic.twitter.com/yqWeyl9jDq— Dan Sileo (@DanSileoShow) November 3, 2013
All that remained to be seen was whether Sileo’s current employer, 640 Sports, also thought it was funny.
Apparently, they did not, with reports coming Monday that he'd been fired.
Dan Sileo fired at 640-AM for offering a $1,000 bounty on an FSU player.— Dave Hyde (@davehydesports) November 4, 2013
Statement from WMEN says, re: Sileo's bounty-related tweets, his actions "have no place in sports."— Tim Reynolds (@ByTimReynolds) November 4, 2013
Now, for some links:
• Two planes crashed in mid-air and everyone was OK — because the planes were full of skydivers.
• A case concerning a fan hit with a hot dog at a Royals game has reached the state supreme court.
• Brent Burns shaved his wild beard and raised $23K for charity:
• Lil’ Gary Pinkel got to meet real Gary Pinkel and some players at the Mizzou game this weekend:
• Ditto for Lil’ Kliff Kingsbury:
I just HAD to find "Lil Kliff" (best Halloween costume ever) and facilitate a surprise meeting w his idol pic.twitter.com/NPOeclJlqK— Erik Burkhardt (@ErikBurkhardt) November 1, 2013
• Major League Baseball is threatening to move the A's to San Francisco next year if they don't get the lease deal they want.
• Floyd Mayweather and Lindsay Lohan hung out on Halloween:
• The Nuggets mascot passed out while being lowered to the floor from the stadium rafters:
• Randy Edsall's wife was honored at Syracuse on Saturday, but the Maryland coach had to leave before kickoff to stay in compliance with NCAA rules.
• Reggie Jackson isn't down with fans using his "Mr. October" nickname to describe David Ortiz.
• Anthony Swain got “hurt” Saturday against Arkansas:
• Well done, Bucks interns. Well done:
• Rajon Rondo honored the Red Sox when he addressed the crowd at a Celtics game:
• The FCC is looking to end the NFL blackout rule.
• A student suffered a seizure after being tackled at midfield by Kansas State's mascot.
• A Sacred Heart wide receiver fumbled, then caused a fumble, then recovered that fumble and returned it for a touchdown, all on the same play:
• Jameis Winston and Jimbo Fisher’s son have a secret handshake:
• Pat Sajak ripped the Philadelphia Flyers on Twitter:
Love hockey, but Flyers are part of reason it remains a niche sport. Shameful tonight (including Philly radio team.)— Pat Sajak (@patsajak) November 2, 2013
• Juan Martin del Potro was robbed while signing an autograph, and a rosary blessed by the pope was among the items stolen.
• Some lunatic soccer fans set an opponent's stadium on fire.
• Zlatan Ibrahimovic played tennis with Novak Djokovic:
• A-Rod was on the sidelines taking in FSU-Miami Saturday:
Alex Rodriguez hanging on the Miami sideline during pregame pic.twitter.com/RCdFuN7IDU— Carlos F. Pineda (@CarlosFPineda) November 3, 2013
• Richard Sherman has a custom jersey made out of Gushers candy:
• The Packers have no plans to add a cheerleading squad on the sidelines.
• An airplane mishap resulted in quite the scare for some Arizona State football coaches.
• When you win the World Series, I guess you earn the right to buy a duck boat if that’s what you want to do:
• Victor Hedman scored on a ridiculous bank shot goal against Carolina:
• The Tebow-to-Jacksonville discussion just won’t die:
They want Timmy. pic.twitter.com/1SAbj9kbUr— Marc Weiszer (@marcweiszer) November 2, 2013
• Two former NFL players are suing the city of Cleveland over its 'jock tax.'
• UNLV lost an exhibition basketball game to Division II Dixie State.
• Here’s a guy getting a MetLife Stadium mohawk, for some reason:
More Stories From Sam Gardner