A sexual assault case involving Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston was previously stalled when the alleged victim decided not to press charges, the Tallahassee Democrat reported Tuesday.
The paper cites an email from city manager Anita Favors Thompson to city commissioners, in which Favors Thompson said the Tallahassee Police Department initiated an investigation after a woman claimed that she was taken advantage of while she was impaired on Dec. 7, 2012.
However, the email stated that once officers began interviewing potential witnesses and collecting details, the alleged victim stopped responding to requests for further information.
“Shortly thereafter a representative of the young woman’s family who is an attorney contacted TPD and said the young woman had changed her mind and did not wish to prosecute,” Favors Thompson wrote, according to the report.
After being dormant for 11 months, the investigation involving Winston was reopened last week after the Tampa Bay Times and TMZ asked about the investigation. However, Tallahassee Police spokesman David Northway told the Democrat that it was new information, not media inquiries, that led to the state attorney’s office taking a second look at the claim.
“Someone integrally involved has (to have) given us a new piece of information,” Northway told the paper. “It has to be someone involved in the case (who) provides a lead to reactivate it.”
The status of the investigation into Winston has been changed from “open-inactive” to “open-active,” but it’s unclear whether state attorney Willie Meggs will proceed with prosecuting the case. It’s also not known what, specifically, was the “new information” that led to the case being reopened.
Winston played amid the scandal and threw for 277 yards and two touchdowns during Saturday’s 59-3 win over Syracuse. Florida State (10-0) will face Idaho on Saturday at home, where the Seminoles will be 57-point favorites to beat the Vandals.