On Wednesday, just one day after rendering the UConn decision, the NCAA will move forward with another: College sports’ governing body is expected to release a Notice of Allegations concerning the Tennessee men’s basketball and football programs.
According to multiple sources, the NCAA will allege Vols basketball coach Bruce Pearl of unethical conduct and that he also failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance.
The football program also been under investigation by the NCAA for violations committed during former coach Lane Kiffin’s one season in Knoxville in 2009.
Pearl and his attorney, Steven J. Thompson, declined comment to FOXSports.com when reached Tuesday afternoon.
However, sources have told FOXSports.com that a hearing is scheduled for June 2011.
The investigation into Tennessee’s men’s basketball program began nearly two years ago, according to sources, when the Vols were questioned about impermissible phone calls.
However, Pearl and his assistant coaches were also interviewed this past June about a photo from 2008 in which recruit Aaron Craft was shown with Pearl at the coach’s house for a barbecue — which is against NCAA rules.
Pearl lied to the NCAA and initially said he didn’t know where the photo was taken.
Tennessee self-imposed numerous sanctions, including docking Pearl $1.5 million in pay and banning him from off-campus recruiting for a full year. In addition, all three of his assistants were also hit with varying degrees of recruiting limitations, from three months to one year.
About 100 impermissible calls by the staff will also be cited in the Notice of Allegations.
The SEC also hit Pearl with an eight-game league suspension, which he served earlier this season, but there is a chance the NCAA further penalizes the Vols head coach.
Sources said that Tennessee’s assistants will not be charged with unethical conduct, like Pearl was, but instead face charges of “not upholding high standards of sportsmanship.”