No charges will be brought against two Brown University football players who had been accused of sexual assault, Rhode Island prosecutors said Monday.
The attorney general’s office said a grand jury declined to indict the players named by a Providence College student who told police she believed she was drugged and assaulted last year.
Lawyers for both players said their clients were relieved by the grand jury’s decision.
Artin Coloian said his client has always maintained his innocence and the grand jury’s report is a testament to that fact. He said it has been a "challenging and traumatic time" for his client and family.
John Grasso, a lawyer for the other player, said he is grateful the attorney general thoroughly investigated the matter. Grasso said his client has been under incredible stress since he was accused, then asked to leave campus in the spring.
"He was leading a life that most people only dream about and then on an allegation only, his life just came to a crashing halt," Grasso said. "We’ve got to try to get it started again."
According to police, the Providence College student told investigators in February that she believed she had been drugged at a bar in November and was sexually assaulted after waking up in a Brown dorm room.
The university said it would not comment on the case. A spokesman said he could not say whether the players will return to start classes next week.
The players are undecided about their plans for the new school year, according to their lawyers.