Duke agrees to extension with Cutcliffe

DURHAM, N.C. — Duke has agreed to a contract extension with

coach David Cutcliffe, who has the Blue Devils bowl eligible for the

first time in nearly two decades.

The school announced the agreement Wednesday. It will run through June 2019, though contract terms were not released.

The fifth-year coach — who was Peyton

Manning’s offensive coordinator at Tennessee and Eli Manning’s head

coach at Mississippi — had been mentioned as a possible candidate for

several coaching jobs after leading Duke (6-5, 3-4 Atlantic Coast

Conference) to bowl eligibility for the first time since 1994. The Blue

Devils were also in the mix for the league’s Coastal Division

championship into November and close the regular season against Miami

this weekend.

In a statement, athletic director Kevin

White said school officials are “extremely excited, if not euphoric!”

when looking into the program’s future.

“To be sure, `Coach Cut’ represents just

a great fit at Duke,” White said. “David and the staff have done an

exemplary job of leading the program while subscribing to the highest

institutional ideals, both academically and athletically.”

Cutcliffe took over in December 2007

and has a record of 21-38, which is 11 more wins than the program had

managed in the eight seasons before his arrival.

In a statement, Cutcliffe said he and

his wife, Karen, “could not be happier with the people we’ve associated

ourselves with here at Duke.”

“We’ve accomplished some of the goals

we laid out five years ago,” Cutcliffe said, “but are nowhere close to

where we want to be.”