White House not happy about Big Papi’s selfie with Obama

David Ortiz took a selfie with President Obama duringthe Red Sox's visit to the White House on Tuesday.

Manuel Balce Ceneta/AP

The David Ortiz selfie with President Obama just won’t go away.

Here’s basically what has happened: On Tuesday the Red Sox slugger took a selfie with Obama during the Red Sox visit to the White House. On Wednesday the Boston Globe reported that the selfie was a promotional stunt set up by Samsung, who hired Ortiz to be a social media ambassador. Ortiz later denied that report, saying nobody forced him to take the photo.

Well, now the White House has weighed in on the issue and it is not happy about the photo.

From the Globe:

The White House is not pleased with the selfie photo that David Ortiz took of him with President Obama on Tuesday, and is objecting to Samsung’s promotional use of it.

"As a rule, the White House objects to attempts to use the president’s likeness for commercial purposes," White House press secretary Jay Carney said during his daily news briefing on Thursday. "And we certainly object in this case."

Carney, who made the comment between questions about Israel-Palestinian negotiations and the administration’s response to shootings in Fort Hood, declined to say whether White House lawyers had been in touch with Samsung about halting its use of the photo.

"I’m not going to get into the counsel’s discussions," he said.

So there we have it. The White House objects, whatever that means. 

Hopefully this is the last we hear about the selfie.