Daily Buzz: Jermall Charlo's chance at a boxing title gets cuffed
Mar 7, 2014 at 7:27p ET
So it was 16 years coming for Jermall Charlo, a whole career's worth of speed bags and road work and 17 wins with 13 knockouts and no losses.
The 23-year-old had earned his title shot, and it was going to come Saturday at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, where he'd fight "King" Carlos Molina for the IBF light middleweight championship.
"It's been a long time coming," Charlo told the Houston Chronicle last week. "This is the call and I've got to take the answer."
But a last-second twist, the sort which only seems to happen in boxing, has canceled the fight. Molina was arrested Tuesday in Las Vegas after police found an outstanding warrant issued in 2007 accusing him of failing to register as a sex offender in Wisconsin.
Molina posted $10,000 bond and was going to be released — meaning the fight would still be on — until authorities figured the Mexico-born Molina was also wanted by US Immigration and Customs.
So the fight was called off, as was Charlo's title shot. Charlo was, naturally, flabbergasted.
"I was, like, 'What? ... I didn't understand it at first," Charlo told the Chronicle. "How did they even let him get the belt? The body of boxing has to allow things like this not to happen."
Molina remains in jail and faces possible deportation, and Charlo is out the biggest moment of his life — a $100,00 payday that could have also put the Houston resident one step closer to a date with Floyd Mayweather Jr.
"I'm just, like, God has to have a plan for me. The storm don't last always," said Charlo. "I trained my whole life for this and I've been let down. Not by me, but by [Molina]. The only thing I can do is go back to the drawing board. And my next fight will be for the IBF world title, no matter what."
Now, for some links:
• Wade Phillips, turnt?
• Here is a nice read from Deadspin on analytics and the Sloan Conference.
• Ole Miss might have a 300-pound quarterback.
• For context, Kevin Love and Tyson Chandler are friends:
Kevin Love, in response to Tyson Chandler's comments about his defense: "F*** him. I don't give a s***."— Phil Ervin (@PhilErvin) March 7, 2014
• David Carr would still like to be an NFL quarterback.
• Blake Griffin picked up Darren Collison like a sack of fertilizer.
• Police are investigating if a former Detroit Lion was hired as a hit man.
• This high school kid went full Laettner:
• Magic Johnson refutes the idea there could be a Heat-Spurs NBA Finals in which neither the Heat nor Spurs win:
The only way San Antonio or Miami don't win the championship is if neither team makes the finals.— Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) March 7, 2014
• Mariano Rivera renovated a church.
• Mike Woodson would prefer Joakim Noah not recruit Carmelo Anthony.
• This dunk summed up the Lakers-Clippers story pretty well: