Daily Buzz: HS wrestler with cerebral palsy gets first win on senior night
Feb 12, 2014 at 6:00p ET
A Kentucky high school wrestler ended his prep career with a win Tuesday, but what makes Fairdale High School senior Willie Burton’s Senior Night victory special wasn’t the 6-4 score, but the fact that he arrived at it against the longest of odds.
Born with cerebral palsy, Burton has limited use of his legs and is unable to walk, getting around via wheelchair throughout the day. He’s been on the wrestling team at Fairdale for four years, and finally, in the last match of his career, he got his first win.
“They were tied 4-4 with like 10 seconds left in the match,” Fairdale coach Chris Boyd told the Louisville Courier-Journal. “Willie had a cradle locked in and he was pulling back on the cradle and finally pulled it back enough and got two points right before the buzzer. It was awesome.”
After the referee raised his hand and his opponent -- Pleasure Ridge Park’s Sydney Smith -- congratulated him, Burton crawled out of the circle and was mobbed by his teammates, who started a dogpile on the mat. Not a bad way to go out.
“When he won, I don’t think it had even sunk in yet,” Boyd told the Courier-Journal. “But it was amazing. The gym was electric.”
Now, for some links:
• Jason Kidd still has it:
• Before he was traded, Andrew Bynum was suspended by the Cavs for reportedly shooting the ball every time he touched it in practice.
• Tinder may be the most popular app in the Olympic village.
• Oh, that’s dirty:
• Amazingly, this look is actually an improvement for New Orleans Pelicans mascot Pierre:
• Stan Van Gundy says LeBron James already belongs on the NBA’s Mount Rushmore.
• Shawn Kemp and an ugly-wig-wearing Shaq teamed up for a Reebok commercial:
• Olympic hockey fans in Sochi can follow the scores of games on the side of the hockey arena:
• An East Carolina defensive end is reportedly in critical condition after a serious car accident Wednesday morning, the school announced on its website.
• Cole Hamels will likely miss Opening Day.
• I see your LeBron James off-the-wall windmill dunk and raise you an Anthony Davis:
• Gabrielle Union talks about dealing with hecklers:
• As spring training kicks off, Dusty Baker says he is "trying not to think about baseball."
• Who’s hungry for burgers?:
• Penn State made a hype video for its football coaching staff: