Ortiz wants Mayweather rematch
Victor Ortiz is solely focused on the fight ahead of him. The only man he’s thinking of is Luis Collazo.
A win and the former two-division boxing champion will snap a two-bout losing streak and help him get back on what many thought was a can’t-miss career trajectory.
Deep down, somewhere in the recesses of his sharp mind, lies a future matchup. A rematch, to be exact. Ortiz doesn’t want to talk about it – he doesn’t like speaking about anything but his next opponent – but there’s little doubt.
Victor Ortiz wants another crack at Floyd Mayweather Jr.
“We have some unfinished business,” Ortiz told FOXSports.com. “He still has my belt. I still believe that what happened wasn’t right and I’ll always think that.”
Ortiz, 26, was the victim of his own sportsmanship on Sept. 17, 2011.
After hitting Mayweather with an accidental headbutt and being docked a point by referee Joe Cortez, Ortiz went to Mayweather to apologize and hugged him.
As Ortiz approached, he kept his hands down and Mayweather ripped a left hook and a right cross to Ortiz’s chin. Those blows ended the fight in the fourth round.
Ortiz entered as the WBC welterweight champion. He had beaten Andre Berto, was achieving his potential as top prospect and was regarded as one of the top welterweights in the world.
After that, Ortiz dropped a fight to middling Josesito Lopez when he retired in the ninth round due to a broken jaw. Ortiz's fast-paced, all-action style got the better of him.
That was in June 2012. When Ortiz meets Collazo on Thursday at Barclays Center in Brooklyn (9 p.m. ET, FOX Sports 1), it’ll be the first time Ortiz steps into the ring since then.
“I don’t really need to sit around and tell people how important this fight is,” Ortiz said. “Every fight is important. Anyone who disagrees with me has to reevaluate themselves.”
Ortiz doesn’t like to use the word “comeback,” but that’s how this one is being billed.
There’s concern with his jaw, but he’s still young with a fan-friendly style and punching power. More than that, he’s good-looking and still has the "it" factor. Why else would Sylvester Stallone pick him to be in "The Expendables 3?" Ortiz filmed that in Bulgaria before starting training camp for Collazo.
"[Acting] is a different animal than boxing, for sure," Ortiz said. "I seem to think boxing is a lot easier. But that’s just me."
Ortiz said he would sit back and watch the likes of Stallone, Mel Gibson, Antonio Banderas and Arnold Schwarzenegger do their thing and try to emulate them.
"It was a little rough to get into the motivation of acting," Ortiz said. "That’s not what I’ve done a whole lot."
Boxing is. It’s what he’s done his whole life. Ortiz is ready to get back into the ring, ready to get on that path toward being a star again.
Collazo, a 32-year-old journeyman fighting in his hometown, is in the way of that and everything else – including the Mayweather incident – is in the rear-view mirror.
"It’s just a waste of energy, waste of time, to sit there and feel sorry for myself and relive the moment," Ortiz said of the Mayweather loss. "I’ll never do that."
That doesn’t mean Ortiz doesn’t want revenge. He just knows he has to get through Collazo and others to do it.