Boxing

Burns facing suit after switch?

Share This Story

   
 

LONDON (AP)

WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns is facing a possible civil lawsuit after switching promoters to force the cancellation of the unification bout against IBF holder Miguel Vazquez next month.

Burns was presented Monday as the newest fighter for promoter Matchroom, causing Frank Warren to claim a breach of contract and announce his intention to sue the 29-year-old Scot for ''substantial damages.''

Warren says ''Burns is under binding promotional and management contracts.''

Burns (35-2, 10 knockouts) hasn't fought since retaining his belt against Kevin Mitchell in September but had been due to fight Vazquez at Wembley Arena on April 20 in a postponed contest.

Burns says ''I just felt over the last year or so things hadn't been working out'' as ''there were a few issues that needed working out.''

 



Related Stories

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by



Boxing Videos

In Focus: The man trying to save USA Boxing Posted: Jul 12, 2012
From TV tycoon to friend of USA Boxing. Laura Okmin learns how one man is hoping...

Remarkable Moments: Torchbearers Posted: Jul 20, 2012
Peter Schrager on two remarkable moments with Olympic Torchbearers.

Roundtable: How to handle the media Posted: Jul 15, 2012
Maurice Greene, Bryan Clay and Amy Van Dyken discuss how media impacts Olympic a...

Fox Sports Store