Already facing a litany of legal problems, undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. failed to appear at a deposition Friday as part of a defamation lawsuit brought against him by rival fighter Manny Pacquiao, the Los Angeles Times reported.
The paper reported Thursday that Mayweather’s attorney had informed Pacquiao’s attorney, Daniel Petrocelli, that his client would not appear at the Las Vegas law office for the court-ordered deposition.
"We’re anxious to get to trial and, as a result of this, we’ll be seeking a default judgment to win the case by default in the upcoming weeks," Petrocelli said. "This is just ducking a deposition."
The defamation lawsuit was filed after Mayweather and his father both publicly claimed that the record-setting Filipino champion had used performance-enhancing drugs.
A Nevada judge denied an emergency appeal by Mayweather of the order requiring him to give the deposition. Petrocelli said Mayweather’s attorney, Mark Tratos, said he would not show up because he was appealing that decision.
The 34-year-old Mayweather has not fought since May 2010 when he scored a convincing unanimous decision over Shane Mosley, running his career record to 41-0. His next fight is scheduled for Sept. 17 in Las Vegas against WBC welterweight titleholder Victor Ortiz.
Mayweather still faces several other legal issues, including felony charges for a domestic violence incident last September involving the mother of three of his children. The next hearing in the case is not until October.
Mayweather is also facing several misdemeanor charges for two separate confrontations last year with private security guards near his Las Vegas mansion. Both incidents were triggered by illegally-parked cars outside Mayweather’s house.