Chisora detained after post-fight brawl?

British heavyweight Dereck Chisora was being questioned by police Sunday after being arrested at a Munich airport check-in desk the morning following his post-fight brawl with countryman David Haye.

Munich criminal police said officers were still trying to track down Haye, who was not present at his hotel in the German city.

A police spokesman earlier confirmed that investigators wanted to interview both fighters over the punch-up, which came amid Chisora’s post-fight news conference following his loss to WBC world champion Vitali Klitschko on Saturday night.

"Mr. Chisora was arrested after police went to the airport where he was at approximately 10:30 a.m.," the spokesman said. "At present, we do not know where Mr. Haye is. We are currently looking for him. He was not at the hotel this morning, and we have not seen him at the airport."

Chisora’s promoter, Frank Warren, revealed that German police visited Chisora at his hotel in the early hours of Sunday "to make sure Dereck was OK," though he was unaware of their plans to formally interview his fighter until informed by Sky News hours later.

Warren described the brawl, which also left Haye’s trainer nursing a bloody facial cut, as "embarrassing" and said Chisora’s threat to "shoot (Haye) in the street" and "burn him" in the aftermath was "stupid" and "unacceptable."

But he dismissed accusations that Chisora provoked the fight, saying, "It takes two to do what happened. I think both their actions were provocative," later adding, "If David Haye doesn’t come to the press conference, that stuff doesn’t happen."

Warren later said video of the brawl clearly showed Haye throwing the first punch.

Haye, the former WBA heavyweight champion, attended the fight as a commentator for a British outlet. During the news conference following Klitschko’s unanimous decision, he began yelling to the Ukrainian, demanding a fight.

After the Klitschko camp dismissed the calls, Chisora got involved, mocking Haye for his poor performance against Klitschko’s brother Wladimir last year, which cost him his world title.

The pair then engaged in a yelling match, with Haye branding Chisora a three-time loser, before Chisora left the stage with his microphone in hand to confront Haye face to face.

Almost as soon as a stare-down developed, Haye landed an elbow on Chisora’s jaw, and the two began brawling.

Haye also hit Chisora’s trainer, Don Charles, and swung a tripod at one of Chisora’s friends, while Haye’s trainer, Adam Booth, was hit in the melee and suffered a cut on his forehead.

Haye left the room after a few minutes, and Chisora told Booth, "David is going to fight me, or I’m going to shoot him. I’m going to shoot him in the street. I’ll burn him."

Both the Klitschko brothers were present but did not get involved. Wladimir Klitschko reportedly stood on a chair, laughing while the mayhem took place.

In the actual bout, Chisora became only the fourth fighter to take the older Klitschko the distance but fell short on the scorecard, 118-110, 118-110 119-111.

The performance enhanced Chisora’s reputation as a heavyweight contender before the later brawl further sullied his name.

The 28-year-old Londoner earlier was fined $50,000 for slapping Vitali Klitschko during the weigh-in and was unsurprisingly booed and jeered by the 12,000-strong crowd as he made his way to the ring before the Ukrainian’s glitzy entrance.

Adding to the drama, Chisora spat water in Wladimir Klitschko’s face shortly after his brother entered the ring, apparently in response to the heavyweight brother’s pre-fight delay tactics.

Wladimir Klitschko told Sports Illustrated later, "The hardest thing I have ever done was not break his face."

Vitali Klitschko added, "I have big respect for (Chisora) as a fighter but no respect for him as a human."