Washington addresses arrest, letting down Cards

Cardinals' Washington addresses media for first time since arrest on assault charges.

TEMPE, Ariz. – Daryl Washington faced the media Tuesday for the first time since his arrest on May 3 on two counts of aggravated assault. Washington said all the right things -- when he could say anything at all.

“All I can do is come out here and work as hard as I can and let everything else play out,” said Washington, who is also suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse. “I don’t like to bring a lot of attention to the team.

“I wish I could’ve just been more aware of a lot of situations, obviously, on both ends of the stick with the league and myself. All I want to do is move forward from here and just try to help my team and bring positive attention to the team.”

When asked specifically about his ongoing case, Washington couldn’t offer any more than has already been reported.

“I really can’t talk about that right now,” he said. “I’m pretty much limited in what I got to say, but I’m going to let my attorney do his job, and we’ll go from there.”

Washington worked with the second-team defense during the team’s first official OTA practice Tuesday as defensive coordinator Todd Bowles began installing a 3-4 scheme similar what the Cardinals ran last year. He was replaced on the first team by Karlos Dansby, who is Washington’s likely replacement while he serves his suspension. Additional time off is possible since NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has wide latitude in administering such penalties.

“I’m actually learning from him as I’m watching him,” Washington said of Dansby. “It’s good that we brought another addition in at linebacker. (Karlos is) a good guy to learn from, and hopefully we can complement each other on the field if we can ever play together.”

Follow Craig Morgan on Twitter

Send feedback on our
new story page