You might think that is like sending the fox into the hen house, but Fitzgerald is taking the same professional approach he takes to everything else in his life.
“Here’s how you have to look at it,” he said. “These young ladies have been working their entire lives to put themselves in this position. There’s a lot that goes into it.”
Fitzgerald knew he couldn’t avoid some leading questions from the local media, including one reporter who noted that Fitzgerald should have a breadth of knowledge judging women. But the seven-time Pro Bowler deftly deflected the question by noting, “it’s tough out here in the Valley.”
Fitzgerald said the pageant approached him about being a judge recently and he thought “it would be a cool opportunity. I’ve never done anything like this so I have nothing to compare it to.”
Fitzgerald, who last fall
conducted the Phoenix Symphony, will be briefed Saturday and Sunday on what to look for as a judge. While the opportunity will further his lengthy list of life experiences, Fitzgerald noted “this one’s not for the resume.”
When asked for his thoughts on Fitzgerald’s latest venture, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians chuckled.
“I’m gonna let that one go,” he said.
FYI: Here is a list of Fitz's fellow judges:
* Bob Harper, health and fitness expert, author and star of NBC’s “The Biggest Loser”
* Betsey Johnson, legendary fashion designer and star of Style Network’s “XOX Betsey Johnson”
* NeNe Leakes, actress (“Glee”), star of Bravo's “Real Housewives Atlanta” and “I Dream of NeNe”
* Wendie Malick, actress, star of TV Land’s “Hot in Cleveland”
* Jessica Robertson, reality TV personality on A&E’s “Duck Dynasty”
* Nikki Bella, Former WWE Diva champion and TV personality on E!’s “Total Divas”
* Mo Rocca, correspondent, “Sunday Morning” with Charles Osgood, host of Cooking Channel’s “My Grandmother’s Ravioli”
* Christina Milian, actress, singer-songwriter, social media correspondent on NBC’s “The Voice”